web analytics

Florida Child Custody Laws For Unmarried Parents

What do you do if you have a child and you’re not married I’m Steve Kramer. I’m a Florida family law and divorce attorney. Now we’re going to look at situation where maybe you and your ex have a child together but you broke up and now you don’t have any kind of timesharing schedule set up. You don’t have any custody arrangements established. There’s no paternity or child support set. The question is what do you do And there’s two options. One is you can file a paternity claim and that’s basically where you go.

To court and you ask the court to establish that you or your ex is the parent of the child. And the other option is you can go to Child Support Enforcement with the state of Florida and ask them to establish child support for you. Now, if you go ahead and file a paternity action this is going to allow you to establish a parenting plan. And a parenting plan basically sets forth how you’re going to raise this child. Everything how you deal with school, how you deal with medical issues, who’s responsible for what, the amount of child.

Support, where the child spends their time, everything. If you go to the Department of Revenue for Child Support Enforcement, first off you may need to meet certain financial criteria. You may have to show that you’re indigent or be receiving benefits from the state of Florida. But if you do that, they will go ahead and they will argue for paternity and they will argue for child support. What they won’t argue is a parenting plan and this is an important note because a parenting plan can have a direct impact on the amount.

Orlando Family Law Attorney What Can You Do if You Have A Child but Are Not Married

Of child support. Meaning if you each have the child 50 of the time and you each make about the same amount of money, child support is going to be virtually minimal. But if one of you has the child 80 of the time and the other has the child 20 of the time, child support is going to be awarded to a much higher degree for the person who’s got the child most of the time. So that parenting plan can affect the child support. And if you go to.

The Department of Revenue for Child Support, they may get you child support but they’re not going to set forth the parenting plan and that can impact child support. And I’m telling this because a lot of people are in this situation where they may not be married but they share a child in common with somebody else. And we deal with these issues all the time. If you have any questions, I’d be glad to talk with you, discuss your case, look at the situation. I deal with this stuff every day. I’m Steve Kramer, thanks for.

Leave a Reply